Industrial Environmental Improvement Drive
Best Practice Example
On the eve of the World Environment Day, the Andhra Pradesh Industrial Infrastructure Corporation Ltd. (APllC), in technical cooperation with GIZ (IGEP), initiated the one month long (from 5th June to 5th July 2013) "Industrial Environmental Improvement Drive" (IEID) in about 75 selected Industrial Parks of APIIC spread across all 15 zones in Andhra Pradesh. The month long IEID took place in 2014 in about 58 selected Industrial Parks of APIIC spread across all its 8 zones in Andhra Pradesh. In 2016 it was organised by the Vapi Industries Association together with the Gujarat Pollution Control Board, the Gujarat Industrial Development Corporation, the Notified Area Authority, the Vapi Green Enviro Ltd. and the Lions Club of Vapi.
Main features and components
Various activities are carried out throughout the month such as awareness drives, cleanliness drive and plantation drive, besides developing a model street for industrial estate, free sapling distribution etc. The drive is an attempt to initiate positive actions for environmental improvement in the industrial areas through voluntary participation of industries and other stakeholders.
Implementation / work steps
The drive from 2014, for instance, aimed at bringing in environmental awareness and initiated the process of retrofitting the existing Industrial Parks in Andhra Pradesh into environmental friendly Industrial Parks.
The following activities are proposed to be taken up during this drive:
1. Interactive Meets
2. Cleanliness Drive: cleaning solid wastes and storm water drains in the selected Industrial Parks
a. Municipal Solid Waste Management
b. Storm Water Drains Management
4. Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy measures
5. Awareness Programmes on various environmental aspects including eco-profit concepts and self-resource auditing through interactive meets with the environmental subject specialists
6. Corporate Social Responsibility
- The drive saw a lot of success in removal of waste dumps, in undertaking plantation, in activities at industry level.
- Overall, the initiative gave sparked hope that the industries can become agents of change in support of sustainable and equitable development.
- Both the large industrial estates in Vapi and Vatva have decided (June-July 2016) to continue with the drive at least for a year to enable visible impact.
Phase of intervention
Introducing SIA, Sensitisation, Designing SIA, Retrofitting, Operating SIA, Management, Resource efficiency
Level of intervention
Company, Park management
Awareness Raising, Retrofitting, Sensitisation
Companies, SME, Industrial area management and operator
IGEP - IEID 2013 - Prelaunch Meetings
IGEP - IEID 2013 - Launching
IGEP - IEID 2014 - Orientation Programmes
IGEP - IEID 2014 - Launching
IGEP - IEID 2014 - Concluding Session
IGEP - IEID 2016 - One-month long IEID
APIIC Industrial Environment Improvement Drive 2013.pdf (2.97 MB)
APIIC Industrial Environmental Improvement Drive 2014.pdf (1.36 MB)