Over the last decade companies have faced tremendous increase in prices for resources as well as requirements to comply with environmental laws and regulations. ecoprofit® tackles the need for companies to improve productivity through manufacturing processes or operations by emphasizing on low hanging fruits. Doing so, companies gain monetary benefits by reducing their demand for raw material and energy and minimize associated environmental impacts from emissions, effluents and wastes. ecoprofit® is considered to be a win-win-model, using integrated environmental technologies to strengthen businesses economically while simultaneously improving the local environment.
Main features and components
The ecoprofit® programme is bundled with training tools, interactive exercises, onsite assistance/consultation, and the development of effective measures. For the successful participating companies a certificate is issued at the end of the programme to recognize their efforts.
Implementation / work steps
There are three basic elements included in a programme cycle:
- Technial presentations (6-8 modular workshops on specific topics like cleaner production, team work, material flow analysis, energy conservation, water management, legal requirements etc.)
- On site consultations and follow-up visits
- ecoprofit® Award (for the recognition of efforts)
- Shall be a production unit
- Shall have some quality system in existence
- Number of permanent employees more than 50 and sufficient annual turnover
- Monthly energy bill in the range of 3-5 lack
- Shall have scope for reduction of emissions, effluents, wastes and upon implementation of measures shall show reductions in the same
- Shall be ready to invest to implement the suggested measures
ecoprofit® has been implemented in 26 countries in various parts of the world. It has, for example, been implemented in more than 60 enterprises in India. In India, it is estimated that the average annual return of investment comes to a minimum of 1:4 in comparison to the programme costs.
The main focus of a programme cycle is to establish a fully capable team of three to four employees from within a company and to implement the identified measures.
ecoprofit® was developed in early 1990 by STENUM Environmental Consulting and Research GmbH in Austria. It was applied in the GIZ ASEM Programme in India.
Expertise and tools
Phase of intervention
Operating SIA, Management
Level of intervention
Approx. two weeks
PREMA ® – Profitable Resource Efficient Management