The Climate Expert entails a practical four-step approach and working materials that help companies analyse climate change risks and opportunities and generate strong adaptation strategies. It was developed by the GIZ Global Program on Private Sector Adaptation to Climate Chance (PSACC) for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) that are or will be affected by climate change. It also addresses consultants and experts who want to support the private sector in adapting to climate change.
The Climate Expert also provides training programmes, materials and resources for consultants, business associations, chambers of commerce, industrial zone managers and other experts who wish to engage with SMEs on climate change adaptation.
Main features and components
he Climate Expert helps companies deal with risks and opportunities across seven impact areas: building/location, processes, logistics and stock, employees and community, government and regulation, market, finance.
The Climate Expert is based on an Excel Tool that allows companies to fill in and analyse all relevant information for developing an adaptation strategy that fits the characteristics of the company.
One of the Tools’ key features is a detailed cost-benefit analysis (CBA). This method is well-known by SMEs and allows integrating climate change adaptation into their risk management routines. By working with cost ranges, the CBA takes into account the uncertainties of climate change.
Due to the complexity of climate change we recommend that SMEs work together with trained consultants in developing their adaptation strategies. The consultants meet in person with relevant SME staff to go through each step of the Climate Expert approach. At the end, a full company assessment report is compiled (for internal use by the company only).
Implementation / work steps
The Climate Expert approach consists of four steps:
- Exposure to climate change:
- Identifying climate change phenomena in relevant regions
- Analysing climate change impacts on the company
- Quick sketching of risks, opportunities and measures related to CC impacts
- Climate change risks and opportunities:
- Step-by-step approach for assessing and prioritizing climate risks
- Analysing climate change opportunities
- Climate change adaptation measures and Cost-Benefit Analysis:
- Identifying and prioritizing applicable adaptation measures
- Evaluating each measure in regard to feasibility, effectiveness, efficiency, side effects, etc.
- Conducting a detailed Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBA)
- Climate change adaptation strategy:
- Developing an adaptation strategy with short-, medium- and long-term measures
- Identifying stakeholders and actors to be involved
- Identifying communication measures
Generate strong adaptation strategies based on analyses of climate change risks and opportunities with the help of the four-step approach
and working materials
Expertise and tools
Phase of intervention
Operating SIA, Climate change
Level of intervention
Climate Change Adaptation, Disaster Risk Management
Companies, SME, Local and international consultants and advisors