The worldwide and cross-sectoral demand for refrigeration, air-conditioning (RAC) and foam constantly increases due to growing population, increased urbanisation and economic growth. The GIZ Proklima programme supports the introduction and dissemination of environmentally friendly cooling and foam blowing technologies that neither harm the ozone layer nor contribute to global warming. These technologies use natural refrigerants or foam blowing agents such as hydrocarbons, ammonia and CO2.
Proklima supports developing countries and economies in transition in transforming the cooling and foam sector in a sustainable, climate-friendly manner. In order to provide comprehensive assistance and to ensure sustainable impact of its projects, Proklima cooperates with diverse stakeholders. Partners worldwide involve public institutions and intergovernmental organisations but also private companies and industry associations as well as training institutes and non-governmental organisations.
Policy advice, Technology transfer and capacity development in the refrigeration, air conditioning and foam sector are the major components of Proklima projects.
- support of partner countries in the implementation of the Montreal Protocol and the development of sector strategies for national mitigation actions
- conceptualisation and implementation of ODS phase-out plans
- advise on the implementation of international and national regulations and standards
- assistance for institutes to set up qualification and certification schemes
- guidance to identify funding sources and establishment of national funding mechanisms
- development of sector specific GHG-inventories, mitigation scenarios and technical road maps
- collaboration between industry, public sector and end-users
- assistance to companies in the replacement of ozone depleting technologies
- demonstration of green cooling technologies covering the whole life cycle of an application ( production, usage, end-oflife/recycling)
- support of vocational training institutions
- development of training curricula, training of trainers
- implementation of technical trainings in the field of natural refrigerants
1995 to 2020
Climate Change Adaptation, Climate Change Mitigation, Energy efficiency, Policies & Regulations
Lead implementing agency
Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)